The computer saga continues….
After my motherboard blew, I remembered there were a couple of old boards at the bottom of my Big Box of Computer Bits. I went a looked, and joy, both of them took my processor and memory. One of them, I knew, wasn’t working (don’t ask me why I’d kept it); I was pretty sure the other one was OK. Anyway, guess which one I tried first, spending about two hours wrestling with the heatsink and going squinty-eyed from trying to decipher the inadequate diagrams…? A banana to the gentleman at the back!
Anyway, the second one turned out to be good(ish). It didn’t take the new DDR400 memory that I’d bought, but never mind, the stick of DDR330 memory that had originally been in my machine fitted.
Upon connecting up (nearly) everything and switching it on, all seemed well – it seemed that all I had to do was download and install the board drivers. Then… (yes, there is always a then…) I noticed that I hadn’t attached the CD/DVD drive.
I did so. And everything went tits-up. A big red message on the bootup screen, with enough exclamation marks to earn the envy of any teenage texter, informed me that I needed to turn the CD drive from secondary slave to secondary master before it would proceed any further.
After several frustrating hours of fiddling with the BIOS and consulting online forums, I haven’t got an answer – beyond permanently unplugging the drive’s data cable, so I can’t play CDs or DVDs. The floppy drive was already dead, so the only external storage I now have is my little pen flash drive.
So it looks like I still need a new motherboard. Sigh.

ETA: Fixed it. After hours of swapping cables etc. I looked at the CD drive and had a “D’oh!!” moment. Until then I had never realised that CD drives had jumpers just like hard drives. Resetting the jumper from ‘slave’ to ‘master’ did the trick.
Still got the sound to sort out, but otherwise the system is usable. Now for tea.

…my camera’s bust – the lens is stuck. It’s been stucky for ages, but has always cleared itself with a bit of jigging and poking. But I took it out this morning and it’s stuck for good. We’d gone out for a drive and a walk, the weather was fantastic, with blue skies and bright sun – perfect for photos. But it was not to be.
Bah. And of course, with a car purchase imminent, there’s no money to spare for a new camera. Bah again.

But I made another nice sourdough loaf today. I’d have bored you all with another piccy, if the camera were working….

….yesterday was a bit of a washout for me, owing to another night-time tachycardia attack. I turned over in bed, an internal switch jumped and the smooth, slow bloop-BLIP of my heartbeat went in an instant to a 180bpm BLAMBLAMBLAM slam-beat. So, once the initial o-shit-its-a-heart-attack panic had been firmly squashed I spent a leisurely three or so hours contemplating mortality and the fragility of the flesh. (Normal activity is impossible during an attack – physical activity makes me ill and faint, mental concentration is constantly interrupted by the background BLAMBLAMBLAM – like having a teenagers’ all-nighter going on next door.) It eventually stopped and I got back to sleep. But I felt like crap for the whole day after. Remembering Doc G’s cheery advice that every tachycardia attack is giving my heart an Olympic-level physical workout didn’t really make me feel any better.
I took a beta-blocker, as per Doc G’s advice. Though I’m not sure if it actually does any good; it doesn’t seem to shorten the attacks. But I don’t really feel like finding out for sure.
Taking a beta-blocker every day stops the tachycardia from happening; it also gives me sleeping problems, nightmares, insomnia, mental wooliness and limb pains. So, on balance, I’ll take a tachycardia attack once or twice a month instead. That way, I only feel like crap for one or two days a month, instead of all the time.

But I’ve managed to get some work done. I did some well-overdue updating on my Life On Mars fansite to reflect the spin-off series that is starting tomorrow. I bought the domain for Oakleaf Design & print; can’t afford the hosting as yet, so it’s pointed to a subdomain for the time being.
I’d spent the weekend putting the site together; it took at least twice as long as it should have because B kept changing his mind about the text. I offered to show him how to edit the text himself, but he shuddered at the idea; so i had to keep going back and altering this or that word myself.
I’m very pleased with the way the ODP site looks – it’s probably my best design so far. Well, I think so anyway.